Saturday 15 August 2009

Another Un-Finished Project...

Well, we've been living in the house now for a little over a year. The living room and dining room still have bare floorboards, no paint on the walls and make-shift curtains. The kitchen ceiling needs a bit of repair work and a final coat of paint...as well as the floor sealed before the Travertine completely disintegrates. The list could go on...but it would only depress me.

On to the point of my story...I've been collecting wine corks for many years. I can't really remember when it started. But there are clues in the collection that tell me it's been at least 12 years. I'm not sure, either, why I thought it was a good idea to start collecting them, except that I like the unique ones, funny named wine, or a cork that commemorates a special night out with friends. I always intended to "do" something with them. So, having now amassed 3 giant ziploc bags full of corks, I set about creating my own personal cork board. The intent is to artfully arrange the corks onto a board with hot glue, frame it and hang it on the kitchen wall as a place to hang our calendar and other important bits of information. Mostly take-away menus.

So, here I went...decided what size frame would be good for the space (FYI, 1 metre tall by .6 metres wide--which is roughly 3 feet tall by 2 feet wide), had it made at the frame shop in town, got my hot glue gun out and started sticking.
Here are a few shots of my project spread out on the island in the kitchen.
P1000078

P1000080

Given the title of the blog, you will have surmised that something went dreadfully wrong with my little project.
Turns out, that even though I'm a wino, my extensive collection of corks wasn't enough. I ran out before I go the entire board covered--maybe two-thirds full. It's fair to say that I didn't really plan it out--as Paulster was quick to point out. But geez. It seemed like so many corks--am I sure that I didn't misplace a baggie of corks?! Maybe I should check the garage again...

So, plan B. I have asked our favourite pizza restaurant in town to collect theirs for me and call me when they have a critical mass--that was 4 days ago. And a back-up to the back-up--which may actually see me overrun with corks is ebay. You really can buy just about anything there. I'm currently bidding on 2 sets of corks (less than 20 hours to go on both bids!) that should give me enough to complete the project. Fingers crossed that I don't get outbid. I'm a bit of a ebay retard, so just figuring out how to find my list of stuff I've bid on has been a challenge!

I'll let you know how it goes. When it's finished and hanging on the wall, I'll post photos of a few of my favourite corks and any associated stories that are blog-worthy. Could be years from now...

And before you ask...Yes, I will gratefully accept your donations of corks should you have a handful laying around! They're light, so postage to (or within) the UK will be fairly cheap!

No comments: