Thursday 14 January 2010

Cabin Fever

So...it's not really a cabin as much as a house in a London suburb...but, it's real. Cabin Fever.
I'm so sick of being in the house that a trip to do mundane errands like go to the Post Office, the pharmacy and photo shop were quite a treat this afternoon.

Since before Christmas--when we had the lovely snowfall that made me full of the joys of Christmas, we've had off and on, more of the same weather.
So much for being joyful after weeks of it.

I have to admit that the first 2 weeks of lounging was nice, catching up on a series and a half of House that we had recorded on our TIVO-type device, cooking and sleeping was great. Also, that was around the Christmas/New Year celebrations...so always something to do.
But this week, I've had a cold and between that and the weather, I'm feeling a bit grouchy.

A welcome respite has been a really excellent Christmas present. It was something that I didn't even know that I wanted--but Paulster used his brain and came up with a good one. The Sookie Stackhouse series of books by Charlaine Harris. This is the group of books that the new TV series TrueBlood is based on.
So, there are 8 books in the boxed set that I got for Christmas, a 9th one that is out and a 10th one due out in May.
Some of you may not be interested--it's a bit graphic and is about vampires and other "supernatural" creatures--but I was thoroughly captivated by the first TV series. We're anxiously awaiting the second series--that has apparently already started (and may be finished by now) in the US.

I always get a kick out of reading the books that a TV series or movie is based on and then trying to pick out the threads that are similar. With Dexter, the first book and the first series were nearly identical, except at the end. Then, the TV series took a hard right turn and kept going. Not necessarily a bad turn, just different than the books. And Bones was the same.

I've just now finished the last of the 8 books in my little set and am logging on to Amazon to get the 9th one ordered and the 10th one on pre-order for May.

I have to warn you that, in my experience, if you mix high powered Sudafed with these books for several days, you're likely to have some odd dreams.
On the other hand, they're quick reads and creative storytelling--so well worth waking every hour to make sure there's not a vampire breathing down on you--that turns out to just be your cat sharing your pillow.

They definitely get my endorsement!

No comments: