Tuesday 7 October 2008

Repeat after me, "I am a Domestic Goddess"

We've finally started to settle in to the house--how can you tell when we're still surrounded by unpainted walls, uncarpeted floor and cardboard boxes? you ask...

I've started cooking for fun in the kitchen. In my estimation, there's cooking because you can't possibly endure yet another meal out or pizza delivery (and still pay the mortgage) and there's cooking for fun.

This weekend, the girls and I cooked for "fun". Drama helped me make one of our favourites--Macaroni and Cheese. It's an Alton Brown (of the TV cooking show Good Eats) recipe and it so quick and easy--the longest bit of the preparation is grating the cheese. But of course, you can do that while the pasta's cooking. It's a million times better than the BrandX-out-of-a-blue-box Mac & Cheese and you actually know what's in it--because it's made from basic ingredients.

And then for dessert--Blondie helped me make an Apple Crumble. In fairness, she made the crumble part--getting elbow-deep in the pastry mix! All I did is cut up some apples.

Yes, they were apples from the tree. We did a harvest the last time the girls were here and managed somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 apples. What do you do with all those apples? Give 'em away. Paulster and I took 9 dozen apples to the office and they vanished. We have an entire shelf in the garage fridge that is stacked with the rest. In theory, they should keep until Christmas.

Now with the apple crumble made, and a bit of applesauce, I really need to get creative with the apple recipes. Banana has told me about her Struedel recipe--so maybe that will be the next challenge!

The title of the blog is derived from one of my cookbooks, given to me for my birthday by some fantastic friends--Faz and G.

Here's a pic from our days hanging out in Windsor at the Tapas restaurant.
17072008 028

The cookbook is called, "How to be a Domestic Goddess". It's by Nigella Lawson. She's a curvy, irreverent, licks her fingers as she cooks on TV and is an absolute riot. The book has a gold cover--it's fab. So, tonight, while preparing for a work-related late night conference call, I was noticing about 3 overripe bananas in my Mexican Fruit Bowl...the Domestic Goddess in me immediately sprang into action to make Banana Muffins per Nigella.
I'm sitting here in the kitchen posting this as they're cooling...it certainly makes the kitchen smell lovely.
I'll take them to work and let my colleagues be the judge of how much more practice I'm going to need to truly become a Domestic Goddess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you when you meet my significant other next time round... he clearly claims the domestic goodess title for himself ;-)

cream cheese brownies anyone or snickers cockies (yeah - you're laughing - but they delish!)

The Swissies

Hachie Gal said...

remember, if you use one major appliance during the exercise of food preparation, it qualifies as cooking.

Anonymous said...

Hi, there are lots of Nigella's videos/recipes and programes here, especially Christmas ones . . .

http://greatbritishchefs.blogspot.com/search/label/Christmas%20Recipes