Friday 10 April 2009

Spring has Sprung

This is our first spring in the house, so the mysteries of the garden [yard] are starting to reveal themselves...
The former homeowner had tons of daffodils [jonquils] in the front flower bed and those have come up nicely. I picked the first one and took it to the office to enjoy it!

I planted some bulbs one dreary weekend this winter and those are starting to come up. To be honest, I know NOTHING about gardening, so had to call my mom and ask her which way to plant the bulb (pointy end down?)...so imagine my delight when they actually started coming up!

Here's my first hyacinth making its way up.
Hyacinth Starting
It's now spent, but was a lovely fragrant, hot pink flower in the back flower bed near the door. There were several in a line...very nice.

Several weeks ago, we had some sunny days, and I snapped a few shots of Kenny out in the garden. Here he is with the daffodils in the background.
Kenny in the sunshine

Lyd sent me some bluebonnet seeds from Texas and I planted them in accordance with the instructions...but have yet to see any sprouts.
I may not get my very own bluebonnets this year.

BUT...I have noticed that the UK does have bluebonnets. My neighbours yards and several in the neighbourhood have bluebonnets...so they can survive and thrive in the UK. Maybe next year.

No comments: