Monday 22 December 2008

...So This is Christmas?!

On Saturday night...yeah, that's the 20th, we finally got the Christmas decorations down from the loft [attic].
Paulster went up and shouted down the labels on the boxes and I shouted back whether or not that box should come down. I'm sure the neighbours appreciated that happening after 10pm. Oh well.

Anyway, a few hours later, the tree was up, lighted and decorated.
DSCN2923

If you look closely, you'll see that Kenny has taken up residence under the tree for now. Sweet boy!
DSCN2921

As I started putting the ornaments on the tree, I was reminded of the people and places that are special to me that I don't see or chat to nearly enough. Most of my ornaments come from places I've travelled--like my yellow cab from New York City when I travelled there for a weekend with my friend, Sal. Or the ornaments that were given to me during an annual ornament exchange with 3 girlfriends in Texas.
Here are a few pictures of some other special ornaments.
DSCN2902
My chili pepper ornament, purchased in Red River, New Mexico--no telling how many years ago...

DSCN2903
My glass heart ornament. Given to me by the Holstes--parents of my university roommates. They now live in Qatar.

DSCN2905
My handmade Christmas tree ornament. Made by Jake and given to me as a gift the year that I left the US. It goes on my tree every year!

Of course, no English Christmas tree is complete without a Tea Pot ornament.
DSCN2904

Moving on from the tree, are another of my favourite Christmas items. One new addition that was shipped by Aunt Karo just this year...and the large glass Santa that she gave me many years ago.
They have prominent places in the new house now. Next year, they'll look better up against painted walls.
DSCN2909

DSCN2912

Of course, the Grinch, the HoHoHo and Mr. Hanky have also been unpacked and placed in their new homes for Christmas.

We're nearly ready for Santa to arrive!

No comments: